Thread: 1950s Bianchi
View Single Post
Old 08-27-19, 08:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Glad to see you're back posting. And, I think all the account restrictions are over, so you can upload up to, I think 1000 photos, and post to your heart's content.

I can imagine family dynamics. And, if your father bought the bike in the late 50's, that likely puts you in your 50's or 60's.

Grandkids?

Some bike shops will pack and ship a bike, but not necessarily cheaply. Most will, however, also give away free bike boxes with some packing.

Depending on the box, it will require some basic disassembly. And, unfortunately they are large unwieldy boxes. And, with poor packing, there is a risk of damage.

Unfortunately, the market for a very unique collector's bike can be fickle, and it can be tough to get top dollar when selling locally. Thus benefits with a nationwide market.

There are also many different types of buyers. You may or may not have control over who eventually gets it.
  • Buy it and ride it as a regular bike.
  • Buy it and keep it as cherished part of a collection. Bike shows. Either with "patina", or fully restored.
  • Buy it, restore, then resell
  • Buy it, speculating, and resell for a higher profit, doing only minimal maintenance.
  • Strip it and sell it for parts (or perhaps keep some parts for other bikes).

BikeForums does allow ads, but only for upgraded accounts.