View Single Post
Old 04-22-03, 12:37 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
>>>>>Can you explain the security aspect of this ? Why is a folding bike a security threat ?<<<<<

I used to take my folding bike on the train into Manhattan but recent events continues to make this more difficult each week. The police and the national guard stop me and sometimes will not allow me to pass. I'm tired of of the whole situation. I guess they think my bike has bombs in its tubes or a biological weapon in disguise?? It's just a sign of the times.

>>>>Also the midwest landscape is literally littered with 26" "English Racers" and 3 speed Sturmey Archer hubs. Leave your name and number at a local thrift shop or get a Sunday paper and check for garage sales in your area. The going rate here is about $25.00 and that comes with a rack and fenders.<<<<

I'm trying my best to get hold of a three speed Stumey Archer English racer that I can park on the mean streets of Manhattan. (with Kryptonite lock ofcourse) Unfortunately, these bikes are going for $150.00+ in New York City!! Yes it's true. Beater junk bikes are NOT cheap where I live! This is the reason why I'm seriously thinking of buying a disposable Roadmaster for my commuting. It will ONLY be used for cross town (about 15 blocks in total) and thus save me $4.00 dollars per day. I can buy a new one every 4 months and save nearly $300.00 in the process!! My real bike will be parked on the other side of the river for my longer commute home.

Anyone have any ideas what I should do with the old Roadmaster once I'm done with it after four months? I'd feel guilty if I gave this bike away and someone got into a serious wreck!