View Single Post
Old 08-29-19, 03:23 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
And who's supposed to figure that out in a day? I only lived in the city for two years when I was at SFSU and I usually stuck to the coast, or went up 19th Avenue towards Golden Gate Park then toodled around over there.
I can be figured out enough in a day. Sure! I just told the OP the two main tricks. Pretty simple with some rudimentary planning and a map and/or GPS. FWIW, if starting from SFSU, the best way is to take Sunset Blvd. There's a bike path and not much traffic anyway. Or just go down along the beach. 19th Ave would be pretty scary. I can kind of sympathize since I grew up in (what was once) a small town surrounded by country too. City riding takes getting used to, but in SF it's possible to avoid traffic to some degree at least.

Anyway, for a 1 day visit, I'd recommend something like starting near the ball park, riding along the water, keeping downtown on yer left, water on yer right. Go through the wharf area, take the bike path through Ft. Mason and the Marina, continue through the presidio. Take a detour over the GG bridge and at least ride up to the old nike base. Ask the locals about the real rides in Marin if you want. Then head back and go south through the presidio, past the Sutro baths and Ocean beach. Loop back the same way, or cut through GG park.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 08-29-19 at 03:37 PM.