View Single Post
Old 09-01-19, 06:34 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulok

My last 70 mile ride I had Oreos, mangos started to sip an energy drink 1/2 way and it lasted me til the end. Plus about 1L/hour of water. It was 103 by the time I was finished. I felt completely fine after that ride and wasn’t even sore the next day.

But, I realize now that those are empty calories. So I want to make sure I’m eating healthy for the long run. I am training for the 508 and 24hr time trials as my ultimate goal. I had noticed in the past that if all I eat on my rides is junk, eventually I wouldn’t go any faster despite trying to train harder.

So for tomorrow I’ve added real fruit salad, about 100 Calories worth. And substituted Oreos for “real” strawberry Newton bars. I have mangos still (chili mangos), I also added 2 bananas (I eat them sometimes on other rides and often at home. 2 Powerades, one with added pink Himalayan salt. And some pure Glucose little candy things. I also have a couple of dry granola bars that I’ll eat for Lunch if I feel like I want a lunch. They suck to eat while riding and I almost choke on the crumbs. So they’re more of a stomach tamer if it gets acidic. But I very rarely ever get stomach issues.
I've settled on Skittles and "Bold" (i.e. extra MSG) Chex Mix as the perfect sweet and salty things to bring on brevets. One is pure sugar that goes straight into your bloodstream; the other is salty carbs that take longer to digest. Both have been chemically engineered to be delicious, which helps if you're feeling nauseous or just not hungry.