Old 09-03-19, 05:30 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Long story shortened but a vitrectomy in my left eye hastened the development of a cataract by years... the right eye is several years off. I've decided that I want distance vision and can wear readers for everything else. Currently I do need some correction for slight nearsightedness in my right eye and even less in my left. So I do have two pairs of progressive lenses, one clear one sunglasses. They're mainly for use in the car so I can clearly see things on the dash... and on my bike so I can see the bike app on my android. That and I have readers scattered all over the house. Having said that, my decision that monovision wasn't for me is a personal one and may not work for you. Also part of my decision revolved around if I ended up not liking monovision there wasn't much I could do about it post surgery but distance only vision could be easily corrected with readers or progressive lenses.

Also may I suggest that you consider or at least research Laser cataract surgery or sometimes called Refractive laser assisted cataract surgery. Conventional surgery uses a handheld "cutter". The skill of the surgeon, at least for making the cut, is taken out of the equation. The laser also breaks up the old lens. I went that route with the big downside being insurance doesn't usually cover it. With the vitrectomy in that left eye they told me if I ended up with 20/30 or 20/35 corrected vision I'd be lucky. Well I'm either very lucky or perhaps the laser decision helped but my corrected vision in that eye is 20/20. If you decide laser is for you they may tell you that you're not eligible... that's what they told me because I don't have astigmatism or something like that and so it wasn't FDA approved for me. Anyway, I insisted so there are ways around the restriction.