Old 09-04-19, 12:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
On a more serious note, I think there are indirect benefits associated with being overall strong and healthy that help with stabilization and handling even for a primarily slow-twitch/endurance activity taking place over many hours, provided it doesn't add too much body mass.

Although this is not related to cycling, I'm preparing for a backpacking trip soon, and recently after a ~10 mi hike (with a 35 lb loaded pack) my legs were freakin' destroyed afterward. Somehow I think that if I had more baseline strength and conditioning that I wouldn't have been messed up as bad after such a basic "human" activity as moving a load from point A to point B on your back. Somehow I think that would translate to overall health, injury prevention, athleticism and lastly performance on the bike, as subtle and indirect as that may be.

It's been years since I lifted - 4 years ago I royaly FUBAR'd my back my doing too much too soon with the Olympic lifts - deads and squats. Fast gains and fully loaded sets of 5 weren't the best idea for me. Long femurs don't help either.

I think I'd like to get back into it again, starting slow and never getting below sets of 10. Plus you can go along way with lunges and step-ups. The step-up is such a functional exercise, I really enjoyed that one. I would do them with the long barbell on my back for some added weight, usually 60-80 lbs I think.

Last edited by TMonk; 09-04-19 at 12:12 PM.
Likes For TMonk: