Old 09-07-19, 11:29 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I tag along with a group that welcomes new folks and go wherever they're going. Helps to explore new routes that I might have avoided or not known about. Also helps avoid dangerous routes that I might have tried before hearing from other folks who know the area better.

Sometimes I'll try a new route solo at night when there's less traffic. Often there are routes that are sketchy in daytime but at night I'll see only one or two vehicles over a 20-50 mile route. I use two or three lights, front and rear, so I'm as visible as it's practical to be. I usually have fewer problems with negligent drivers at night than during the day.
this. invest in some quality lighting and embrace the night riding. amazing how different the area looks/diff business, light signal and traffic patterns if in an urban area. if rural,
you'll likely count the cars passing on one hand-esp if it's after midnight. rock some blue öyster cult for extra credit.