Old 09-10-19, 09:51 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
The only cycling club I know of in Eugene is GEARs. Is that the one you're referring to? For those who don't know, GEARs sponsors an annual ride, called the Blackberry bRamble. Supposedly the profits from this ride go towards bicycle advocacy and helping maintain multi-use bike paths in the Eugene area. I've done two Blackberry bRamble rides so far. Last year, their 20th annual ride, was pretty cool and had lots of support. My buddy and I did the ride again this year and it seemed that support on the bike routes was not nearly as good as last year. Anyone more familiar with the internal workings of GEARs, please feel free to chime in here.
No, the funds raised by the bRamble don't go to any infrastructure, it all goes for GEARs activities. I'm the guy who marks most of the century route. (I couldn't stand the fact that they do it by car, so I volunteered.)

Bike path maintenance is kind of non-existent in Eugene. Most of the South Bank Path is closed for the next two years. The North Bank Path is kind of a bad joke (called the **** path by many people). The West Bank path is so bad that it is slated for rebuilding, but will be rebuilt lower than flood level so we're looking at winter closures on a regular basis. What do I say about the East Bank path? My son, Godzilla, had knives pulled on him last week for having the nerve to walk on it after dark. (Some homeless people had privatized it and objected to him using it as though it was public.) The other path, the Fern Ridge, has similar issues.

The real shame here is that these paths should be jewels. The setting is extraordinary. My granddaughters and I saw five blue herons (their favorite birds) and a green heron on the way to school this week, as well as a beaver and lots of other interesting animals. Eugene has better potential than any city I know of. Maybe with the impending departure of its horrible city manager, Jon Ruiz, it will move forward and start achieving some of that potential.