View Single Post
Old 09-11-19, 10:37 AM
verktyg
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990 Bianchi Mondiale, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA Team Pro, 1973 Holdsworth

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 80 Posts
Parfait!

Originally Posted by noglider View Post
zhee TAHN
Give the man a cigar!

In 1973 I went to work part time at the shop where I bought my first Gitane. The manager had a masters in French and forced us all to learn the proper pronunciations of cycling names and words.

@rustystrings61 - you're steeling all my thunder!

I have some tubes from a crashed Gitane Gran Sport that I dissected years ago. They measure 1.5mm wall thickness but they're probably top and down tubes so 1.0mm would be correct for a seat tube that takes a 25.8mm seatpost.

Very few French bikes were made with straight gauge Reynolds 531 main tubes. It was produced in 0.7mm, 0.8mm and 0.9mm wall thicknesses and mostly found on lower end Brit bikes.

@DMC707 - "yes. Its a real track bike, not a converted road bike. Even the lower line track bikes have cachet and are scarce"

By the end of the 1950's the popularity of bicycle track racing had died out in the US. There were only a handful of tracks left around the country by the 1970's so the sales of REAL track bikes was limited.

When the fixie fad took off, fixie fools were paying insane prices for entry level 10 speed frames and bikes to drew and convert to FG bikes. REAL track bike sold for crazier prices - they still do on eBay!

Gitane Track Standard bikes cost us about $50 wholesale plus $9 motor freight from Mel Pinto Imports.

@roadbikeChris - BF members are more than happy to spoon feed new folks but I suggest that you also do some Google searches for BF threads for some of your questions. The results will go back 10+ years.

For example I just did a quick Google search for "bike forums gitane track standard" and came up with dozens of links to older threads that you can glean a lot of information from.

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you've fed him for a lifetime."

verktyg

Last edited by verktyg; 09-11-19 at 10:52 AM.