Old 09-12-19, 06:38 PM
Retroman69

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
The picture above with a different handlebar a small seat having replaced the banana seat just reminded me of something I haven't thought about in a long time.

My parents gave me my first bike in 1974, I think. It was a green Ross that looked similar to the restored bike the OP is showing us. It had banana seat with a sissy bar and those long handlebars. In 1978, we moved to another state and I got a different bike.

So, it must have been around 1976 - 1977 when banana seats had become absolutely uncool. BMX bars and a "single" seat, as I think we called them then, had become de rigueur for boys. If we didn't have a BMX bike, we at least wanted a bike more in the BMX style than what the older kids in the neighborhood used to ride. Somewhere I scrounged up a black seat with springs on the bottom and metal rivets on the back and installed it on my bike with the use of my father's adjustable wrenches, most likely. I don't remember changing the handlebars, but I remember the seat situation very well.

It's possible that the bike I'm quoting in this post was modified for similar reasons around the same time.
I remember that as being a popular mod in the late 70s. Making old banana seat bikes into BMX clones.