Old 09-13-19, 10:38 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Saddles are like "types" in terms of people we find attractive. I don't have a type. Blonde, redhead, brunette, white, brown, bald, smart, funny, tattooed, crazy... I never know what I'll like until I try it.

For the past couple of years my go-to road bike saddle has been a Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio, one of their low end saddles with the basic design and features of their pricier saddles. Snagged it for $20 after it was discontinued. Wish I'd bought two or three. Minimal firm padding, just a slight flex in the plastic shell. I've moved it between two bikes, and preferred it level on the Ironman steel bike and slightly nose down on the Trek 5900, mostly because the Trek has a lower handlebar and more aggressive position.

After moving that saddle to another bike I needed a replacement. I tried several that looked like the Selle Italia design, but all ranged from "nah" to "@$$ hatchet!". That included a Selle Italia Q-Bik that I really had hopes for. Tried it on every bike I have, from road to hybrid, and now it's in a box. Somewhere out there is a bike it'll be good for. Same shape as the SLS Kit Carbonio, but thicker padding, more flexible shell and narrow cutout for perineum relief.

Next best was an old, nearly worn out Selle San Marco I found in the bargain bin at the LBS. They gave it to me because it was so ratty. Similar to the SLS Kit Carbonio, split rear, more flexible shell. It's on my upright hybrid.

Two or three months ago I fished a like-new Bontrager Ajna women's saddle out of the LBS bargain bin. It was taken off a new bike, so basically unused. On a lark I bought it for cheap and it's become one of my new favorites. Very different from the Selle Italia. Wider, 145 instead of my usual 130. Slightly shorter nose. Thicker padding, more flexible shell, more generous cutout. It all added up for my Ironman, which has a somewhat more relaxed and upright ride compared with the Trek. After a couplafew months and lots of rides, it's a keeper. Totally different from the Selle Italia that used to be on that bike and which I liked. But just as comfortable.

It's sorta like I decided to go find a girl just like the one I dated in high school, but got abducted by a female Martian and decided "Yes. Green skin. Antennae. Silver eyes. Three of everything. Levitates. This is exactly what I didn't realize I wanted."

But now I have to keep my bikes in separate rooms.