Old 09-14-19, 03:10 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by nwin23
I've got a 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit.

Right now I primarily use it for commuting, but I plan on taking it to some gravel trails and bike paths and towing my son around in a bike trailer.

Questions:

Fenders: I want to get some fenders, but am at a loss for recommendations. I've seen mud butlers posted in this thread, but the rear fender looks like it doesn't go far enough around the back of the rear tire. My concern isn't for me, but for my son in the trailer. I've heard that if you don't have an adequate fender system, your kids will end up eating dust for most of the ride, so I'd like to avoid that if possible!

New wheels: I have the stock Clements set up tubeless and they're ok, but man do they feel sluggish on pavement. I'm not sure if it's the rim or the tire. I've got some Panaracer GravelKing 38 slicks coming in so I plan on mounting those, but have been toying with the idea of getting some new rims. Alloy is fine-keeping in mind primary use is for commuting and hitting potholes (I'm 170 pounds), and secondary use will be bike trails with the kiddo-any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $500 for a new wheelset.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
I don't know anything about fenders so i won't comment there. But as far as the tires go, yeah switch them out. Keep the current wheels, new wheels won't gain you anything for your type of riding.