Old 09-16-19, 07:19 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
So when I first got into cycling I purchased a couple of cheap no-name cycling kit (2 jerseys, 2 shorts with chamois) from Amazon. Technically that's not right, they had names, but none that anyone on Bf would recognize (Sportneer? Souke?). Then Competitive Cyclist had their TdF sale and I bought Castelli, Garneau, etc. from them and realized how crappy the Amazon ones were. Luckily I was able to return most of them because the return window hadn't closed. Since cycling kit is on you for the duration of your ride, and their comfort and quality enhances every second you spend on your bike, I realized it was better to spend money on good kit rather than save money on cheap kit.

Carbon fiber bottle cages were always a luxury I wanted, but being "just bottle cages" I could never justify spending $50-$70 on good Bontrager, ENVE, Black Inc, Silca carbon cages (note that I own carbon wheels from 3 of those 4 ). But now with my NBD, I found myself in need of another cage (or two) so I thought what the heck, let's check out some Amazon knockoffs. I mean, if they fail, they likely won't damage the frame (I will cry if they do) and I'll only be out a water bottle. I found a 2-pack that actually costs as much as one Bontrager non-CF cage. I think the "brand" name is ThinkTop.

They arrive tonight. Here's hoping I have a better experience with cheapo CF cages than I did with cycling kit!
I bought 2 CF bottle holder on Amazon for 40$ CND and they are great. Nothing to complain about. Some items aren't just worth paying the extra $ just for a specific brand. In fact, I preferred the no-name brand since there were no writing/logos on the product. The raw gloss CF looks mucho better on my black & red bike

https://www.amazon.ca/Carbon-Fibre-B...8639949&sr=8-6

Last edited by eduskator; 09-16-19 at 08:11 AM.