cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,393 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
It depends. I think most modern bikes use either plastic SKS fenders or aluminum/plastic laminates by Curana.

However, if long term durability is really important bikes tend to have stainless steel mudguards. I have a couple of vintage mudguards and they all tend to be SS, probably a survivor bias thing. Even modern "OV-fiets" public transport bikes seem to use painted stainless steel models.

I think you see less plain aluminum fenders because most people live quite close to the sea here and leave their bikes out overnight. Meaning bare aluminum tends to rot away in those conditions. So again, it's either painted or just not used at all.
Personally I have bad experiences with aluminum on bikes. On my Gazelle I have had to replace the aluminum kickstand a couple of times already as they just disintegrate after a couple of winters. Pletscher seems to hold up much better.

For this bike I plan on using Gilles Berthoud fenders. They are cheaper around here than Velo Orange aluminum fenders and don't seem to be that much heavier.

Nothing wrong with modern SKS fenders though.
Interesting. How do aluminum-shelled hubs fare? Or does the clear anodizing keep them intact for a while?

Berthouds are beautiful. Should make that blue pop!

Nothing wrong with the fact that SKS offers Bluemels either ...except their price.

-Kurt