Old 09-17-19, 10:48 AM
Cheseldine

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62

My girlfriend is not athletic but prefers to be upright so she can view the road easily. She has had numerous health issues the past couple years. Not a great pic, but this is her bike I built up with a chromoly mixte frame for lighter bike and flexibility on drivetrain plus a smooth easy ride. Her's is a 2 x 5 and I used MTB style, bars, levers, brakes, stem, and thumb shifters. Everything else is stock Ito my knowledge. I could easily lighten it up with diff seatpost and lighter 27" wheelset or 700c wheelset or diff components.
That does look nice, I'll have to keep an eye out for a nice mixte. The main problem is that I'm no good at judging size looking at them.

Originally Posted by canklecat
Check out noseless saddles like the MoonSaddle, which make saddle angle less critical. I met a woman a few months ago at a group ride who had a well worn MoonSaddle, had ridden it for years and swears by it.

There are also the shorter, noseless split saddles favored by some time trial and triathlon riders. But the MoonSaddle may be even better for folks with limited ability to rotate hips, lean forward, etc.
That's really interesting - I wish there were a way she could try one out without spending $100. Thanks for sharing it!

Originally Posted by chainwhip
70s Raleighs tend to have shorter top tubes for their frame sizes.

Ideally you could find a Gran Sport or a Competition with butted Reynolds 531 steel frames/fork.

The geometry is a bit slack, and plays nicely with upright bars.

Tire clearance is generous, and several BF members like them for road/gravel riding.

Budget of $150 may be the sticking point, unless you have a big box of parts and/or a bike co-op nearby.
That is great info - I know it may be a bit sacrilegious, but do you know if it would mess up the steering/ridabilty if the drop bars were replaced with higher more swept back bars?