Old 09-18-19, 06:59 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you can write to the author, ppl do all the time. I read it as "voted to support the limit" & "recommended the signs"

but I'm curious, what is stupid? the limit? the signs? or both?

just for the record, I enjoy trying to get over 27 mph on the western downgrade heading on desolate fall / winter nights
I'm all for speed limit signs on the path, but all they'll ever do is "keep the honest people honest". There is way more that needs to be done to educate everyone to be courteous.

I try to refrain from complaining about people's behavior on the Minuteman as it's too localized and this thread is not the right venue (nope, not going into the A&S subforum), but I just have to share an interaction during today's commute that fits well into the big picture. It's all anecdotal, but people's behavior lately on this heavily-traveled MUP has made me weary. The ghost bike near Seasons Four, rholland's crash, my personal experiences during my last few outings with unsafe passing and getting cut-off - while with a kid...
Today there was a somewhat intelligent-looking guy maybe in his late 20s or 30s who was riding a hybrid-commuter-type bike very aggressively in a 'get out of my way' manner. He passed me unsafely earlier, long story short, I caught up with him again at Mill St where he proceeded to fly into the crosswalk without even slowing down, then yelled "HEY!!" at the lady in the car who was driving through and wouldn't have stopped in time for him even if she slammed on the brakes.

When I caught up with him shortly, this was our exchange:
Me: You know, we don't have the right of way there
Him: (very loudly) I don't give a F**K!!
Me: Well, you're giving us all a bad name!
Him: Go get killed! something something f-king something family
Me: OK, you have issues, have a nice day!

As I rode off he was still yelling stuff but I didn't really care to hear it. I don't usually interact with people much but something prompted me here. Now, some might say I didn't approach him the right way, but it was in the moment and that was the best I could come up with. Regardless, the screaming and cursing was a very inappropriate response, IMO.
What's my point besides just venting? Well, we see a lot of this stuff on our roads as drivers and it sucks to see it spill over to the trails where everyone is supposed to coexist. When I ride on the road, I'm taking a risk and I hope that nothing happens to me; that shouldn't be true on a dedicated rail trail, I shouldn't be scared that people are going to run into me or my child.
More people are riding, and that's good, but it's a double-edged sword, instances of bad behavior and judgement calls will increase as well and the community will have to deal with it eventually. Speed limit signs? Well, that's a drop in the ocean, but it's something.
Likes For autonomy: