Old 09-20-19, 02:34 AM
Pulsify

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Explain Like I'm 5: Don't I need a compression plug to oppose the stem bolt forces?

I'm 3 years new to cycling. I've had this bike (Canyon Endurace AL Disc 7.0) for 1 year with NO problems. I have, however, been doing some research and it seems like compression plugs are very much recommended for carbon steerers, as they provide a necessary opposing force to the stem bolts, thus preventing carbon crimping/failure over time. In fact, it seems that compression plugs that cover the entirety of the steerer (in this case 40mm in length) seem pretty standard on bikes. It doesn't look like Canyon ships their bikes with these plugs; they just come with this short (15mm) wedge at the bottom of the steerer that is only good for loading the bearings through tightening the stem cap. I'd like my carbon steerer to be safe. Should I remove this 15mm wedge and replace it with a 40+mm compression plug that covers the length of the stem and stem bolts? Something like this?: https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/...RO_HS_GAPEXPAN

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

P.S. please correct me if I'm wrong with any of this...

Last edited by Pulsify; 09-20-19 at 03:03 AM.