View Single Post
Old 09-22-19, 12:38 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I've NEVER heard of a Shimano downtube front shifter being indexed. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the chainrings are too far out for the shifter. What's interesting is that you can pull the shifter over by hand aby pulling on the cable yet if pulls back on its own.

According to an ebay ad description {same model shifter} it says index/friction compatible
The crank is what was used on the bike originally, Biopace Exage, The shifter I used from my Record bike holds up though.. not a problem, and isn't over tightened on the boss

Can you post an image of the shifter?

Is it missing something?

How many speeds is the rear shifter for? I might have a friction front shifter that'd match if I knew what colour yours are.

6 speed for the rear. I'd simply use the seven speed shifter [replace the freewheel, wouldn't have to dish the wheel] from my Record bike also, but I want to leave it original. Olympic "12", Three of the same model were on the market recently and sold anywhere from 250-$300, they must be collectable, they were over $1000 when new. and they were pink too Lol

Solid bike, was a pleasure to tune in the rear derailleur, just set the stops and only needed to turn the barrel adjuster out a couple of turns and she's done.

Good luck and cheers

Thx