View Single Post
Old 09-23-19, 11:56 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: Early 90's Ochsner road, 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 1989? Fuji Ace, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi View Post
I just did a century ride in Delaware (my first!) and the back country roads are all worth riding on. It was all on road and not dedicated trails, but many of the roads in and around Dover have lanes specifically for bikes. I suspects you could ride in and around Fenwick Island with ease and relative safety even if you aren't on a dedicated trail.
That statement is relatively true. The main roads have bike lanes or wide shoulders. Rte 54 heading west from Fenwick gets a lot of bike traffic. Once you get inland about 4 miles you can get off 54 onto rural like 2 lane roads. Also at the 4 mile point, rte. 20(Zion Church RD) heads NW and has a wide shoulder. However, always be aware that there are a lot of distracted motorists looking for a business, a road, just sight seeing, and be very defensive for your safety. Also, a lot of scooters, pedestrians and other cyclists that are using earbuds, on their phone or just not mentally focused on where they are going or what they are doing. Same as anywhere, many motorists have no patience or acceptance for cyclists. YOUR SAFETY LARGELY DEPENDS ON YOU!