View Single Post
Old 04-22-03, 10:55 PM
Waldo
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you're saying that there's nothing wrong with them designing a disposible bike? Yes, it's effective as a business model (Actually not, Kmart is soon to leave the bike business and other big box stores are said to be considering this as well) and they fulfill this purpose well. What they don't provide is a reliable bike. Saftey is an issue that we'll set aside with build quality.
As for your bit about me not being an expert about Shimano, I'd go so far as to say that I'd probably qualify, what with all the tech seminars they hold that I've been to and the work that I do on their components. Oh, and being a certified Shimano wheel tech probably doesn't mean much to you either, am I right?
Even a big box Schwinn will be of inferior quality to a Schwinn you'd find at a bike shop. Entirely different frame and components again.
Personal problem with you? I don't waste my time with e-thuging. Just thought I remembered you from another site, is that so wrong?
Not quite sure how my statement about it being cheaper to buy a bike from me than to buy a big box bike and bring it to me when (not if) something breaks is irrelevant due to labor costs. Just look at parts cost for a wheel that will almost invariably taco and you're already at the cost differential.
I can't have experience with Wal Mart bikes because I work at a shop? That's hilarious. I work on these bikes fairly often, test ride them after the repairs, and have customers continually tell me, "I should've just gotten a bike from you," but that's not experience?
In any case, I'm done trying to have an intelligent discussion with you on the subject as you're clearly not interested in that.