Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by Inoplanetyanin
It's funny to read people who say they wear out a bike in three months...
I go through wheels quickly...freewheels faster...pedals pretty quick depending on quality. Medium end seatpost in a month or so and chain in a fairly short time. My bb lasts around 9 months. All of this is with constant fiddling and maintenance. Quite simply I ride very hard and have broken a couple of frames over the years...it is a matter of riding style.

Sounds like a walmart bike will be fine for you and your riding style but having ridden one for fun I KNOW I would destroy the bike, cook it and then eat it for lunch. And thats only the frame. The parts (non of them) would last a month. The wheelsets on them will be very poor and weak. While you may not be rough on it replace the rear hub at least otherwise the freewheel / cassette will cause problems...

And you don't have to ride the bike AT ALL to know the quality. I can walk you through each part and explain its weakness having never ridden them. I am sure you can do the same thing in regards to cars (which I know nothing about) and I would trust your opinion enough to continue asking others. You have had a 100% disapproval rate in regards to the quality of these bikes yet . Maybe with your riding it will last but most people here are at least remotely rough on bikes and know that the drive train, wheelset and many other parts will break sooner than later under normal conditions. Requiring us to ride the bike to offer an opinion is a cop-out.

Cheers enjoy the bike and ride. If you consider it a disposable bike and it works for you I am just glad you are riding as everyone should be . Oh and the other thing that 'good' bikes do is save weight, and while I am the last to actually care about weight of my bike, walmart / sears / cheapo bikes ALL outweight my beast, which is heavy for a set purpose.

Last edited by Maelstrom; 04-22-03 at 11:52 PM.