Old 09-24-19, 09:17 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by eazyace
First, thank you all for your comments. This has really helped me in decisions.
Given this is my first bike since I was 12 I will go with others advice and take a single bike not worried about weight. You are right, me losing 5lbs will make up for the weight of the bike.

Honestly, I will most likely ride this to and from work with very casual trail if I can squeeze them in.
I do want Fixie just to avoid the gears and maintenance of other bikes. Given care free attitude a good steel bike would do and I wouldnt even be that worried about someone stealing it at that matter.

Any other brand recommendations for this type of bike then? I really like the look of Leader/ Unknown bikes. I also want a 5 spoke tire or 3 spoke like when I was a kid. I know childish but hey a boy can dream. I am 32 by the way in case anyone thinks hey for your age you should go with this""

I really do not like those wabi style bikes as they look old school at least when I was growing up.

THanks again for all the hlp
If by "Wabi style" you mean a steel frame bicycle then perhaps you should consider that your 12 yo perception of what is good and bad may need some adjustment. Those, cheap, Chinese box factory no-name or "Unknown" frames you seem smitten with are just that, unknown in quality, unknown in strength and unknown in durability. Aluminum is a potentially good material but only when properly specified, welded and carefully designed. It also has the lower fatigue life, less strength diameter for diameter (than a "wabi-style steel bicycle) which is why they use those cool looking hydro formed tubes to get sufficient stiffness which produces a harsh ride. But it looks cool to a 12 yo.

You should just get a Surley Cross Check and build it as a Fixie. That way when you run into the back of a PU truck, after you pick your teeth up off the road, you will be able to mount Canti brakes. The Cross Check is strong enough it will probably do more damage to the PU truck than itself. And the Cross Check can take near 40mm tires so it will not rattle your new dentures out. Now that is cool, old school.