View Single Post
Old 09-25-19, 05:50 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Maslin
Picked up an early (mid?) 2000’s Lemond on Craigslist for $200, Carbon/white "spine" frame, Brev M wheels, cracked tires, hipster flat bars, etc etc etc.

I'll be keeping it single speed, just a toy for around town. Added some FSA Adventure bars, I'm used to the 12* flare from my Salsa commuter.

I've found the PDFs of the old Lemond catalogs, but I can't find anything about a bike without a model name. The only marking is "Custom" in script on the left side, right side is blank. Decals and script are under the clearcoat. I believe it is a 53, based mostly on wheelbase measurement. Feels about like my 54 Salsa.

Ever seen one of these without a model, just “Custom”?

Can't post images or links yet... White on the Reynolds half, carbon on top. Nothing from the original kit to know what level it may have started life as.
Wheelbase measurement has a poor correlation to frame size, because there are so many additional factors in play. If you need a simplistic estimate, a much better choice is the seat tube length, from center of the BB spindle to the top of the top tube where it meets the seat tube. It's at least as easy, and for some frames that actually is the frame size.