Old 10-01-19, 06:34 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Keep your head up
Originally Posted by anthony714
As a moderate cyclist who didn't get a car till I was 17, I had to learn that cars do not care about you. I had to be aware of them, learn their mannerisms, and predict their behavior based on previous experiences. Like how a driver WILL NOT look both ways before exiting a parking lot making a right turn. If you were coming from the opposite direction, 99% of the time they do not even know you are there.

And always, always remember. Right or wrong, their fault or your fault, a car will always win. Keep your head up when you ride.
I occasionally have to remind myself to look farther ahead, at least about 20 to 40 feet, than just focus on the immediately preceding (about 10 feet) road surface. Of course I incessantly glance a little higher up and further afield to watch traffic, and the landscape immediately adjacent to the road, including intersections.

Besides looking, you've got to pay attention and anticipate. (link).

I have also posted about a collateral advantage to keep your head up:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work.

I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving. So when the commute is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view.

I particularly seek novelty on my long Saturday rides...