Old 10-02-19, 03:51 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Muscular Function (Thigh Area) in Cycling and Cramping

I am trying to work through an unexpected and tough to handle bunch of leg cramps in a long difficult century.

I THINK that it was in the 'Adductor Magnus', but I am not a physiologist and just got this from internet pics of muscles trying to relate the pain location to the images. The pain was (and still is to a very slight degree 3 days later) inner thigh, slight biased to the front and seems to kind of run from the inside of the thigh starting half way up toward the front of the thigh going upward. This is not the quads. The cramping area was maybe 1.5 inches wide and 3-4 inches long.

From what I can tell these muscles move the leg 'left and right' so would seem to me to be little involved in the effort of hard cycling. So 2 questions

1) Am I correct in assuming that these muscles are not under stress in cycling? If it matters it was on a very hilly course.

2) Is it unusual for 'unstressed muscles' to cramp as opposed to stressed muscles?

Thanks.

dave