Old 10-03-19, 08:27 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Flatbar conversion

Originally Posted by Liquidspacehead
Thank you so much! So what your saying is, if I do get the cross check in flat bars, the only reasonable way to convert to drop bars is bar end shifters? I'm good with that if rhay is the case but I just love something about surly. I'm going to deff ride both of them asap
Going with bar end isn't the only option, though it might be the easiest. You'd only need to purchase the bar end (only one, as it is a 1x10 setup), and the drop bar brake levers that will work with v-brakes. I see Surly went with Tecktro RL520's. It has to be a brake lever that will pull all the cable that V-brakes require, which is more than caliper or cantilever brakes would use.

The rear derailleur on the flat bar is a Sram x5, which uses Sram's exact actauation cable pull, making it compatible with any of their road sti's that also are exact actuation, so that part is good. The downside with the STI's is you would have to do a brake swap, probably to cantilever's, as that would still allow you to keep a big tire on there. Even good caliper brakes aren't expensive, though they can be fiddly to get set up initially.