Old 10-03-19, 01:11 PM
SkepTeach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BicycleThesis View Post
It is super addictive.

It certainly is, but you didn't mention it's also contagious.

A little over a year ago, my partner decided to get his first carbon roadie. We had ridden metal dual sports occasionally for a few years. That first serious bike purchase of over $2k was something I never thought we would allow ourselves to do. Prior to last summer, we had only ever splurged and allowed ourselves as much as $700 for a bike. Then, spending a few weeks in Bozeman, MT and getting a taste of a serious cycling culture must have flipped a switch.

He bought a Domane SL5 and developed a serious compulsion to ride. It didn't take long and I felt the itch, one which my local bike shop was *only too happy* to scratch by offering me a hell of a deal on the outgoing 2018 Domane SL8, at merely twice the price of his SL5! Yeah, that went over well.

It has been history since. We have gotten a couple of our colleagues hooked and they've bought their own nice roadies, and our local community has started hosting a weekly Saturday morning ride sponsored by the bike shop. My area isn't huge for cycling, but it's getting better and I'm glad to be part of helping people make healthy decisions.

Just last weekend I rode in my first huge event, completing the metric 100km in the Big Dam Bridge 100 and I loved it! I am also finding myself watching more and more GCN videos when I'm not riding and fantasizing about my first actual competitive event.
Likes For SkepTeach: