View Single Post
Old 10-04-19, 06:13 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

I will stay away from comparison of frame materials since I'm kind of obtuse and don't easily notice the differences. However, back in the day when Cannondale first came out with AL bikes I rode one and thought I'd lost the fillings in my teeth. Then about 13 years ago my GF bought me a Masi Gran Criterium. It is all Dura Ace and an AL frame w/ CF fork and stays. I loved that bike but it was a bit too big. It's beautiful but it sits in my garage. Since then I've added a steel Guru, an AL Colnago cross bike and, this year, my GF bought me a CAAD12 for my 73rd birthday. All that to say...don't ignore AL. Or, good steel actually. My Guru and CAAD12 are light (both around 17 lb. 11 oz), quick and comfortable. I have nothing against CF but for the same price you can get CF with lower components or AL with higher components. As a 73 year old, recreational rider with two bikes coming in at under 18 lbs, this is a no brainer for me. FWIW, this CAAD12 is 105, now wears Mavic USTs and cost $1300 with the original Aksium clinchers.

Last edited by bruce19; 10-04-19 at 06:17 AM.