Old 10-05-19, 08:34 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Back in the 70s SA hubs had an oil port and relied on infusions of oil to keep things lubed. They did ooze oil a bit but worked very well. I took my RF3 hub to the LBS and they worked on it using YouTube instructions as IGH hubs are very rare here. After a while they figured that two different types of grease were needed. Having read about the oil lube I applied a few ccs of 5/20 synthetic oil through the shifter port on the drive side of the axle and it worked well even when ridden in below zero F temps. When it gets noisy a little more oil solves that. Ordinary Jagwire cable housing and regular cables work fine and the housing can be bought by the foot. If you don't have a cable/ cable housing cutter and you take in your cables and housing to the LBS they can cut them to fit there. Be sure to lable the housing and take a picture or two before you didisassemble the cables so you can put them back as they were. Buy a chain breaker and cut new chain to length yourself and buy some extra sprockets for the hub to replace with the chain if it skips after putting a new one one. I could buy the housing at $1 per foot, the cables for $5 each, a sprocket for $7, a 7/8 speed KMC Z chain for $10 and a nice Park chain breaker for $17. You got hosed by the shop. With a little practice you can replace chain, sprockets, cables and housing in an hour or so.