Old 10-07-19, 12:10 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
...that, when you arrive at your destination, people aren't clamoring to talk to you anymore.

I still really enjoy taking one-nighter rides, but I miss the way people used to come out of the woodwork and want to hear about my journey. Of course, the little boy in me is sad that young women don't flirt with me and pretend they are impressed that I could "ride all those miles" anymore, but that's not even what I mean. It's hard to find cyclists my age (almost 57) when I arrive in a town, and the younger riders always seem to be too busy trying to impress each other with their gear and their calf muscles.

Has some of the thrill of touring gone away for any of you now that you are out of the "mainstream?"
Hmmm. Interesting. I haven't toured in quite some time, but when I used to, I made sure to hit the local saloons and chat people up. It's one of the perks of touring, and I love doing it.

I think I'm gonna take touring up again next year. I guess I'll see what's changed.