glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
On-One 456 Build Project

Hello everyone,

Fall is here and so a new project.

I stumbled upon an original 456 size L in the German classifieds and after some research decided to buy it. Luckily On-One still sells the original steel rigid forks, so I also picked one of those up. The fork comes in tomorrow and the frame is waiting in Germany.

My plan is to send both to my preferred metal-work company who will strip polish and copper plate the both. To be honest though I am holding off on this decision until I see the frame. I kinda like the brown. At the same time, tarnished copper is also brown so I am leaning that way. I think the tarnished look in the seams and hard-to-get-to places will be nice, with the tubes being regularly hand polished.

Frame: On-One 456 size L
Fork: On-One rigid steel
Paint: TBD
Rims: China carbon 26", 30mm inner-width, hookless disc
Hubs: White Industries XMR black
Shifter: 12 speed XTR
RD: 12 speed XTR
Crankset: Shimano GRX FC-RX810-1 42t
Cassette: SRAM Eagle 10-50 or XTR 10-51
Brakes: Magura MT 5 or MT Trail Sport

For the first time I am deciding to try an 1x groupset. Comparing the gearing between my current 2x10 groupset, the 1x12 looks actually really good:

As this will be my first 1x set-up I am wondering if the big steps between gears will bother me at all. I don't think so.

Anyway, I think the geometry of the 456 will do a decent job as an XC machine with it's 69.5° head-tube angle.