davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks

Now...the flip side is that while it is an energy drain when on a smooth flat surface (or uphill...especially up hill) that can be a good thing if your purpose for riding is exercise. It will give you a better work out as it will be harder to pedal. There is something to be said for that. If you want exercise, don't get a super light ultra efficient bike. Get a heavy bike with a cheap suspension fork. It's a better work out. Your cardio will improve. You'll get stronger faster. I'm being dead serious here. This is not sarcasm. My commuter is heavy with a cheap Suntour fork. I LOVE it as a commuter. My whole purpose is exercise. It's a good work out trying to push that loaded down bike to and from work. But when I get on my trail bike that is half the weight with a rigid front fork and ride it for distance....it's like suddenly having rocket fuel in the tank. I'm suddenly stronger than the bike and can ride all day at a decent speed without wearing down.
+1

My 1st commuter was a cheap Fuji MTB with that fork; I became increasingly disenchanted with the heft of the bike and the cheap components so I did a 180 and got a Specialized track bike - super duper light, single speed.

Now that I have a "proper" (to steal DarthLefty's adjective) commuting bike which is rigid, light, and has a range of speeds and super grippy, supple tires - I think that I am faster because of having both of the prior bikes, but for different reasons. No real data to back this up other than my Fitbit commute times.

I am intrigued by Jones LWB with the 29x2.8" smooth tires though - it's supposed to be a low-rolling resistance hot rod which is also single-track capable. I used to have many bikes for different purposes and I became disenchanted with that as well. I like having one do it all bike, which seems to be the direction the OP is headed!