Old 10-12-19, 09:35 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 132 Posts
Stop worrying about pedal strike. Back when racers all used wide Campy 1037 pedals we all ground the outside corner of the pedal into the pavement on every corner. And never noticed a thing. It wasn't that the pedal strike didn't much bother us, we simply never noticed. When the pedal was worn so far the bearings were exposed it was time to replace the pedal.

There are two ways to induce pedal strike. One is to use an extra wide pedal. Don't do that. The other is aberrant cornering technique. A small (real small) subset of riders go into a corner and - how to explain - drop and flop the bike to the side to make the thing corner quicker. Basically they throw the bike out of control entering the corner and then try to pull it back into control exiting the corner. If pedal strike occurs in that circumstance sure there could be a problem. Throwing the bike out of control makes anything a problem.

Most modern bikes already have high bottom brackets. Whining and wheezing about pedal strike got the attention of the lawyers some time ago. So most bikes on the road are already high off the ground. Clipless pedals are so small and narrow it would take some very extreme cornering technique to ever ground a pedal. Many flat pedals are plenty narrow enough to evade pedal strike. If you ride monster beach cruiser pedals, have size 15 feet, and ride in galoshes you could hit something. And further, fixed gear riders on the street have to work very hard to corner as aggressively as is possible while coasting.

Who started this pedal strike panic? I am an old man and do not need to fall. One of my vintage bikes has a very low bracket, lower than anything you can buy new and lower than 99.9% of vintage bikes. Sometimes I ground a pedal. Nothing ever happens. Were it not for all the chatter about pedal strike I'd probably not even notice.