View Single Post
Old 10-22-19, 04:54 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I've been following along since last year (and I know she used to post here on the racing forum). As the parent of a gender nonconforming child I have an appreciation for how folks may feel, but I can't at all agree with her almost militant approach of name calling anyone who reasonably disagrees as transphobic, all it does it serve to shut down any reasonable discussion. The fact is she can cite studies that agree with her stance but from what little I understand there's still not a lot known about how much advantage one has by virtue of reaching puberty as a male. I can also imagine it insulting to women to have this outsider (for lack of better term, for all the challenges that come with being gender questioning, she didn't experience a lifetime of being female and all the baggage that comes with that) come in and suddenly try to tell women how their sport should be.

It's a complex topic with no clear answer, everyone deserves dignity and it seems that there's no path where everyone comes out with their dignity intact, whether it be a large portion of competitors at a disadvantage or folks being excluded from competing with a group with which they identify.