Old 10-28-19, 04:07 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
KICKR Climb benefits?

Will be getting a smart trainer when they go on sale in a couple of weeks. Leaning towards the Wahoo KICKR (I realize they had issues at launch, those seem to be better now) and wondering whether there is any training benefit to the Climb?

Specifically, I am wondering whether changing the incline of the bike makes for more effective training for climbing IRL? I have not seen this addressed in any review I’ve read online. In my experience riding at X watts on the flats is not comparable to the same wattage on a climb, especially the steeper it gets. I assume this would have to do with recruitment of different muscle groups? It would make sense to me therefore that working out on the (flat) trainer would not directly translate to climbing on the road. What I can’t figure out is whether the Climb provides for more hill-specific training. I ride gravel on the east coast which tends to feature short and steep climbs, so am interested in any advantage I can get preparing for grades above 10%.