"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Good replacement tire?

Hi everyone.

I've been looking for a replacement for the stock 26x1.95 Kenda tires that came with my Giant Sedona. The Kendas have been fine but one has been sliced open and needs to be replaced. I'm wanting something that rides a little better on the pavement, since I spend majority of my time riding on the streets. I'm also looking for something that possibly offers improved flat protection. Obviously looking for something on the lower end of the cost spectrum.

I've narrowed my search down to the Continental Double Fighter III and the Schwalbe Marathon. I've heard good things about the Schwalbe Marathon and it seems to be a really good tire but is slightly more experience. The Double Fighter III is cheaper but is a slightly smaller (26x1.9) width, whereas the Marathon is slightly wider (26x2.)

Has anyone had any experience with these tires? If so, would you recommend them? Also, would it cause any problems to go with a slightly narrower tire? I weigh ~340 lbs (I'm trying to get back in shape) and have heard it's better to go with a wider tire if you weigh more.

With the Kendas I was running 60 PSI front (which will get the new tire) and 65 PSI in the rear (65 being maximum stated on the tire's sidewall) and had no real issues with pinch flats or anything, and the ride was fine.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.