Old 11-01-19, 07:46 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
thanks. I see a lot of posts saying it doesn’t matter since gravel tires tend to be much larger.

Which way do you want me to argue it?

The best thing to do is go to LBS and try two of the same bikes and see what it feels like to you.

In my experience, aluminum feels like aluminum. Its stiff and responsive and a little twangy on bumps, not dull and smooth like steel. Carbon (if done right) feels a lot smoother while still being responsive (assuming the company is skilled at carbon).

I've spent years on aluminum. With a good seat post and good soft tires, I can comfortably ride it all day. But no, its not the same as carbon (light, fast, responsive, smooth, comfortable). But again, it depends more on the manufacturer's skill than the actual frame material. I.E. don't get a cheap carbon frame just to get carbon.

Some, like Salsa, say their new hydroformed Aluminum getting close to carbon. They specifically say their newer Aluminum warbird is more compliant than the titanium warbird it replaced. That is a bold statement, but they have the measurements to back it up.

On the other hand, some (Cervelo?) did a blind taste test, and their pro riders could not tell the difference between frame materials. They sure could tell the difference when they swapped out wheels/tires. So, there is that.

So, one can argue it either way. Ya really need to ride the two bikes back to back to see if it makes a difference to you.