Old 11-01-19, 08:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
It means ride like you are invisible. Give the cars the right of way even if you should have it. Ride cautiously when in traffic. Use a mirror. Get on the sidewalk if necessary. Assume cars will hit you and take action to avoid that before it happens
No thanks--sounds like riding way too much in their blind spots for my taste. I'm sticking with making myself as visible as possible and making my actions predictable by signalling. Two closest calls I had this year were both situations where the driver swerved into the breakdown lane like I wasn't there and there is literally no strategy to avoid that other than to not be riding. My strategy is to focus on actions that will likely result in some reduction of risk rather than try to hide from risks that inherently can't really be reduced.

I'm not a VC person by any means, but there are definitely situations where the assertive claiming of the right of way in a very conspicuous manner makes me safer than trying to edge around where I'm hard to see. I don't make stupid drivers happy doing stuff like that, but that's definitely not the point. I also get a fair amount of smiles and waves from drivers who appreciate actually knowing how to avoid hitting me.
Likes For livedarklions: