Old 11-01-19, 08:36 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I too have a left sided pm from 4iiii. I have nothing to compare it to, as this is my first pm, but I no no complaints. The pm works well and I replace the battery twice a year. I too use the pm to pace myself when I'm going hill climbs and to make sure I don't blow myself up when riding in a pace line and leading the group.

I haven't done anything with Golden Cheetah yet. I have the software loaded on my computer but the hassle of having to import workouts to Garmin (which I do anyway) and then export the workout from Garmin only to import the workout manually in to Golden Cheetah is keeping me from using the software.

If you like stats and numbers, pm's are a good way to go.

Easy Import

I import batches of ride recordings to GC directly from my Garmin. It's fast and easy.

Plug the Garmin in USB. In GC: Activity tab --> Import from file --> select the rides to import. The recordings are in Garmin --> Activities folder, and it'll remember this location for next time. If a ride has previously been imported, it gets skipped.

Accuracy

The 4iiii meter seems to be accurate enough. I've checked some steady grade climbs against some of the online power calculators for that same grade, and it's pretty close.

Most rides get a few 1 second inaccurate readings, going from zero watts to 1000 or more, then back to low watts. I sometimes use the GC Edit to locate and reduce that high watt number, since it shows up as a new max watts for 1 or 2 seconds on the CP (Critical Power) graph that I use often.

I've set some new personal records climbing some of the local one mile long, 300 foot climbs. The instant pacing feedback kept me at a strong, but sustainable pace.
And it's worked great on out of town climbs that are over 1000 feet, too.

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-01-19 at 08:44 AM.