Old 11-04-19, 02:14 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau

1. Will the company be around if stuff breaks?
2. Does the bike fit me?
3. What accessories are available? Grocery/commuting bags?

After having the brompton for a while, I love the freedom of a folding bike. It's a bike that truly disappears when you don't need it, but does everything a utility bike would need.

However, brompton's don't ride that great. On Oakland potholes and cracks, you could seriously get hurt... not to mention some badly maintained streets in SF. As I get older, I want less stuff... just higher quality.
1. Will the company be around if stuff breaks?
I think that's everybody's concerns for both current and potential Helix users.

2. Does the bike fit me?
Most likely. I'm 5'11". There is some latitude. Certainly, it's not any worse than trying to fit my Brompton.

3. What accessories are available? Grocery/commuting bags?
Not really anything to date. For my Helix, I have a handlebar bag that works great for smaller items like tools, etc.; a clip on water bottle holder that works great; and a clip on seat post rear rack. Can't sling a pannier on it; then again, that isn't the best option for a Brompton either.

The one thing the Brompton has going for it is its front mounting block, and I can stuff most (not all) of what I need into my Brompton front bag. Mind you, if it's that fully loaded, the Brompton doesn't ride the best either. So, it's a bit of toss up - the Brompton has an edge over the Helix for practical scenarios, but it's not as great of a difference as you might think.

After having the brompton for a while, I love the freedom of a folding bike. It's a bike that truly disappears when you don't need it, but does everything a utility bike would need. However, brompton's don't ride that great. On Oakland potholes and cracks, you could seriously get hurt... not to mention some badly maintained streets in SF.

There have been a number of criticisms about the Helix, its Ti frame, lack of suspension, etc. It rides fine. Sure, a little more suspension would be nice, but I'm not planning on going on single track trails regularly on this (although it would likely hold up far better than a Brompton and most folders). And as with almost every folder, it's a trade off. The best suspension folders probably aren't the lightest or fold up the smallest. The smallest folders don't have the handling for rough rides. It's about getting the best compromise. The Helix doesn't ride as compliant as, say, my full size Rivendell steel frame, but it handles noticeably better than my Brompton on rough roads so the chance of a spill is I would say far less.

As I get older, I want less stuff... just higher quality
Very true.