Old 11-04-19, 06:49 PM
Hinge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I bought about 8 meters of some generic linked housing on Aliexpress. It was very close to the Jagwire Links. The quality of the links and the inner liners all appeared to be quite good, except the red wasn't really red, it was more like purple, but that is purely cosmetic.
I could get 3 of the 4 cables to work well, but the rear derailleur was a major problem. I couldn't get it to shift well at all and I spent a lot of time on it. Yes, the liner was very adequately lubed.
For starters, on a folder the distance between the shifter and the rear derailleur is quite long and requires a lot of housing. More specifically, the problem is that under tension, the housing deforms substantially. By that I mean the cable tension induces a bunch of curves/bends into the housing and this in turn affects the length of cable pulled by the shifter relative to the housing and the shifting goes to crap. I tried covering the entire length of the housing in clear heat shrink tubing hoping that it would prevent the housing from deforming under tension, but it didn't help. I suppose I could have put zip ties every 1/2 inch. That would have probably kept the housing straight, but it would have looked ridiculous and would have defeated the purpose of the housing altogether.
The Alligator linked housing looks promising because each link overlaps the next link, thus preventing or minimizing the deformation under tension, at least in theory. I haven't tried it. It's quite a bit more expensive than the stuff I bought.
I would love for this housing to work, but I had to throw in the towel. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.