View Single Post
Old 11-04-19, 09:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Word is the TA fittings and OS headtubes are behind the weight increase but I'm not sure that's all. I think butting profiles are being changed as well to account for disc brakes and collateral ISO testing. Either way most gravel bikes are now in a weird grey area where they a lot heavier than road bikes, not much less than mountain frames but without the capability. A divergence for another thread maybe, it's my personal windmill this season. Bike weights for off-road road bikes are too high!
100% agree.

One thing about the Black Mountain is that like many Somas, it isnt a 44mm head tube. That alone saves some weight and with a steel fork a huge head tube isnt needed. I haven't found a modern 1 1/8 steel steerer to flex too much at all.

I would be fascinated to listed to bike insiders explain the fatigue and safety testing that goes into frame certification. The amount of beefing up frames is significant.