View Single Post
Old 11-08-19, 07:51 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Everyone has different needs, but I'm looking at the Empire really hard, it seems to have exactly the geometry that I'm looking for in a lightweight road bike.

Here's my take on the relaxed geometry. Basically the only difference between the Empire and my SL6 Tarmac is 17mm more stack, longer wheelbase, longer front center, and slack headtube angle. The stack difference is negligible imo, as far as being able to get aero and go fast. I run a 10mm spacer on the Tarmac, so I can slam the stem on the Empire and then it's only 7mm difference.

The longer front center means no toe overlap, which while you can get used to, it's really nice to not have to think about it. The longer wheelbase and slack headtube angle mean that the handling will be more stable, vs "twitchy" race bike handling. I don't race crits, so maybe that difference in handling would matter to someone who does. But I can say that the handling on my Revolt (similar geo to the Empire) on road tires is fantastic, and exactly what I want (descending is fantastic, holds a line like it's on rails). I have had no issues with emergency handling maneuvers or handling in tight, fast groups (30+mph).

IMO, the "race" characteristics are over hyped, at least for what I want out of a bike. Again, I don't race crits, so maybe in that scenario it really does matter. But for what I do, fast group rides and road racing, I think this bike is going to be perfect.
Likes For Rides4Beer: