Bike Forums - View Single Post - Colnago Sport
Thread: Colnago Sport
View Single Post
Old 11-08-19, 11:00 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
If it was my bike:

If it was mine, I'd determine if a complete refurbish is warranted? Pumping up the tyres and a ride around the neighbourhood may help me make up my mind if I do like the bike or perhaps strip it for parts?

If I thought it was worth it, I'd strip it down completely and remove all paint from the frame. I think the frame is a little beyond cleaning it up and living with the patina. I usually burn the paint off with an oxy-acetylene heating torch which is fast and does a great job but chemical paint stripper is pretty good too. Once the paint has completely gone you can get a good idea of the frame's actual condition. I'd say the frame is okay but the surface rust needs attention.

The components would need a thorough clean and inspection too.

Back to the frame. I'd go a little crazy sanding the tubes and removing rust damage. Perhaps a file of the lugs if they looked a bit tatty. Inspect the lug brazing and braze up any missing bronze/silver solder. Remove finger prints ready for spraying. I'd spray an undercoat of etch primer then start the colour paint. I like a 2 pack paint but acrylic is okay and easy to spray.

I'd think about whether I'd put any decals under a clear coat or perhaps leave decals for later? By the way, I think this frame is a Colnago Sport but I'd research Colnago Sports further just to make sure. If it's not a Colnago it may be impossible to find the frame's actual identity so I'd be very tempted to leave decals off the frame.

I think it's important to determine if it has a British or Italian bottom bracket just so I have a better 'feel' for the frame. I'm guessing that it has an Italian BB. Determining the rear dropout spacing is important too. For this frame I think it should be 126mm and if it is wider, I'd check to see it the dropouts are parallel to one another? I wonder if the rear stays are straight of it they have been bent to accomodate the existing back wheel? In that case, is the frame straight too?

Then it's time to re-build the bike. What would I use for that? With this bike, I'd tend to use what the bike came with but changing the components that are damaged. From what I see, the components are of a pretty good quality. I would try to find matching components for the missing components. A new set of cables may be required and a really good look at the condition of the head set and bottom bracket bearings is best done now. I'd look for a Concor saddle (my favourite) and relegate the existing saddle to my parts bin and buy some attractive bar tape too.

It looks like a good frame and it should be a nice riding bike.

Oh, yeah, thanks for the good photos.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 11-08-19 at 11:39 AM.