View Single Post
Old 11-09-19, 05:03 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
For a leak on tubeless if you wipe soapy water on the tire the leak will suds up quickly be it on the tire or the stem etc. It would have found that lead immediately.

I'd recommend ditching the Stans sealant and using Orange Seal, it's what everyone I know uses, never had a leak it didn't fix although a good sized gash it might not.
Yep the soapy water approach probably would have found the leak. I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. My tubeless tires had been performing great - sealing up some relatively large punctures that I experienced. Then I got the slow leak syndrome. I assumed the sealant (orange) would take care of it but it didn't. So I did the soapy water routine and found a couple tiny holes. The odd thing is that they weren't letting any sealant out...they were that small.

My guess is that with a really tiny tiny leak the air just isn't coming out with enough force to push any sealant into or through the hole and therefore won't actually seal, especially if you don't position the hole at the bottom of the wheel rotation for a while and let the sealant get into to puncture. Which is what I did after putting about another ounce of sealant in my tire. Sealed up just fine once I left it sitting that way for a bit.