Old 11-10-19, 09:19 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Holy Rollercam
No, they've already given us what we need.

If you're successful with running tubeless without sealant you're still missing out on a big part of the tubeless value proposition.

Except that for some of us, the sealant is more of a liability than a benefit. I rarely get flats on my bikes with tubes. I certainly have never gotten a flat that I can remember on the dirt roads where I usually ride. What I do like to do is experiment with different tires and sealant makes that a royal PITA. Want to switch tires to try something out for a few rides? You're either trashing a bunch of sealant or trying to pour it from one tire to another and either way you're sure to have a mess to clean up afterwards. Tires need to be somewhat tubeless ready and hopefully agree with your tire/rim/rim tape combo or you're resorting to an air compressor to seat the bead. I wish I could ditch the sealant because since I have switched two bikes to tubeless, I have spent more time and money messing with sealant and other tubeless stuff than I ever have spent changing flats. I like the lighter weight and less rolling resistance of tubeless, but the sealant is what always makes me question the whole proposition.