View Single Post
Old 11-11-19, 06:18 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
I bought a bucket of Mountain House prior to setting off from Prudhoe Bay. It is 240 miles of almost entirely gravel from there to Coldfoot Roadhouse and another 240+ miles from there to Fairbanks. I brought seven days of food with me in mixture of freeze-dried and generally dried/no-cook foods.
I can see that as an easy way to pack for a section away from resupply. I'd consider it myself, especially if I had to pack for the section in the middle of a tour. I dislike the Mountain House meals enough that I'd more likely try to have a bucket of food packed up ahead of time and mailed to myself if necessary. I have worked out some things that work well for me for backpacking over the years.

On the other hand... If I am somewhere that the pickings are slim, I can get by on a really limited and stupid diet for a while (and have done so). If I had to I could go 10 days on mostly tortillas, peanut butter, and jelly or some other equally limited/stupid diet and might prefer it to Mountain House.