Old 11-13-19, 09:27 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir View Post
When I installed the saddle, I had already put it where the "Max" indicator was, though there seems to be more space to slide back I don't know if it is a safety issue, the saddle rails are made of titanium.
My statement should have emphasized the contact point geometry. If you level the frame (tires inflated, wheels on a level floor), drop a plumb line exactly through the BB axis with the frame level, the contact points on the saddle are farther back. In my experience a shift of about 5 mm (less than inch) will reduce the back of thigh pressure significantly.

If you can't accomplish that based on sliding the saddle back on the seatpost rail clamps, you have several options, on the mechanical side.

1. If you can make a small adjustment backwards on a temporary basis, do that and take a short ride. If this project is your correct solution, you should feel an improvement right away. You may also initiate new discomforts, because the rest of your saddle position details are still critical, such as height, tilt (aka pitch), and rotation around seat tube (aka yaw).

2. Get a different saddle that allows more motion fore and aft due to its rail design or which narrows from . I found the best ones in this respect are the Selle AnAtomica family, the Specialized Toupe series, and the Rivet saddles. In particular I have Rivet Pearl Pass, which is really quite nice. Be sure to talk to Specialized and Rivet to select the best width and shape for you. On the Specialized, a Specialized dealer/fitter can help here, they have a very good way to measure you for saddle width. It works for me.

3. If you really can't move the saddle back on the seatpost or are not confident of the strength of the rail, you can get a different seatpost that has more setback. Today most seatposts are zero setback, or about 15 mm setback, or between 25 mm and 35 mm. I like to set back Brooks saddles on my bikes, so I seek out seatposts with deep setback. The best one I've seen lately is the Nitto S-84 (not the S-83!). It is not the lightest and certainly not the cheapest, but it has precise angle adjustment and it does the job. If you only need to add 5 mm setback to the saddle position, the Thomson Elite Setback or the Thomson Masterpiece Setback are among my faves. In carbon I like the Campagnolo carbon model.

Look up the instructions on your saddle with Ti rails - it might be ok to move it back the full length of the rail. Also they should tell you how it may depend on body weight.