gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I rode this morning with something like these Novara pants over my Ibex wool cycling shorts:

https://www.rei.com/product/157092/r...ing-pants-mens

Was in the high 20s. My toes were a bit numb when I arrived home (hour ride), but I had nothing but wool socks under my shoes, no toe covers or booties.
I'm the same with pants. Ibex wool knickers, then layer on top of that when it gets too cold. Rain pants on top of knickers or tights are good for about as cold as you can go. My PR is 18F wearing these, legs were fine. If it's 18F, it ain't raining, but the rain pants keep the warm inside and act as a wind break on the outside.

If it's above freezing and raining, same combo, but I switch to my bike with platform pedals and wear high top waterproof shoes. Chrome makes a nice pair, waterproof, real comfy, and rain pants overlap the high tops like a shingle, keeping rain out of your socks, which should be wool, IMO.

Remember what the Boy Scouts taught you, and layer.