Thread: Too old to BMX
View Single Post
Old 11-19-19, 12:29 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I joined a forum called vitalbmx and there are some threads of older guys like us still riding. It's been really encouraging.

I couldn't help myself and started going bunny hops on my cruiser bike in the fall. I get so much air!!! LOL. Like 2" if that. Ugh. I don't spend a lot of time on BMX tricks but I'm starting to more and more. I was trying to do barspins on my cruiser night before last but I biffed it. I gotta get some good pads.

About a week ago I was doing my nightly ride for exercise and fun and there was an el cheapo BMX bike at the end of a driveway in a heap of stuff being thrown out. So, I picked it up. It actually all works. It needs some dialing in and it's really meant for a kid but I don't care. I started riding it a little and it's serviceable. I figure I can try to do some tricks on it. It's got small geometry though. The top tube is only 18.5" The chainstays are 14.5" though. So it doesn't feel all that small to me. The bars are actually tall enough to feel right but I don't like the backsweep to them and I'm going to try to find some good bars used. The cranks were short so I started looking for a longer set and ended up with a parts bike for 20 bucks. I can use the crank and pedals and I think I might use the rims. Or at least the rear. The first bike has a coaster brake and this one has a cassette. I might actually use the front forks too. I don't like the geometry of the frame on the newest one though. But I have been doing tricks on it.

So.... I'm on my way to having a full bike I can do tricks on. Albeit a cheap one.

I will say this, I need to get some knee pads cuz I biffed it trying to do wheeline and landed on my knee on the concrete. I layed there in pain laughing. But I was concerned I did damage. It was fine though. Only hurt for 2 days and a little bruised. But it was a learning experience about being more careful, being that I'm 47, going on 48. Probably best to be as careful as possible.

The first one I found, I don't know what it is. The frame is brush painted with wall paint. LOL. But I'm trying to remedy that. But I call it "BOU". Bike of Unkown Origin. And the second one I call "Bling City". Which will be obvious as to why if I can get the pics up.

I know it's all cheap stuff, but we don't have much extra money right now, and it's Christmas time, need to spend on other people. I did by new tires though on sale at Kmart....

https://imgur.com/LU6PhOd

Likes For 3S1M: